Grasshopper Dreams 2.0

Metaphors

As I can't sleep, and my muscles are tightening up, and as my head hits the pillow, it seems that my mind is still cranking. It's spurning out lots of stuff, and some of them look good. As long as I can't sleep and there's good stuff, why waste it trying to sleep over it. To hell with it, I said a few moments ago. I got up from my pillow, switched on the moniotr and typed this blog entry.

The are two metaphors I'd like to discuss. First is the Power Rangers metaphor, second is the Hall metaphor.

Mind you that I don't specify anything here. Everything is open and label-less. There are no labels carrying the description. Labelling destroys the underlying meaning of an item. Yes, labelling makes it easier to recognise and relate. But it's all up to you.

Power Rangers, or in their native Japan's true name, Super Sentai shows, is about a group of youngsters, usually five of them, having super powers and protecting the earth or something-something. (i'm gonna use the term "power rangers" loosely here, to denote the team of five. Usually I use the term "Hero Lima," in my native tongue. But this is an english-based blog, but the fact that "hero lima" doesn't sound that good in here. Cheh.) I'm not gonna base this on a specific show, but this is more of a generalization of the group. Frankly, you have to have a basic knowledge of these shows.

Basically the five of them have different personalities. The Red Ranger is the leader-type. Strong, and can lead the team to victory. Usually he is the one to call the cannons to kill the monsters and the giant mecha to stomp the nearby town. Then there's the Blue Ranger. The quiet one, the geeky one. But don't count him out of the fight. He can fight like a warrior underneath that quiet interior. The Black Ranger is the anti-social type. He likes being alone rather than hanging with these color-coded losers. He's a bit of a hot-head, sometimes clashing with the Red Ranger. But in the end, as the spirit of teamwork goes, he always there to help his teammates. The Yellow Ranger is the jack-of-all-trades type. Can cook, can dance, can kick butt. Usually the voice of reason in the group. Lastly, there's the Pink Ranger. The ditz in the group. The clueless one. Sometimes one ask, why the hell is she in the team? Oh, but she is important. Aside from being a capable warrior, the Pink Ranger also provides a different view of a situation. And of course, to top it off, there's the teacher persona, guiding and teaching the rangers in their way of fighting and living.

This is just a gross representation of a team, from my psyche. The basic thing is the same, five people in a team, color-coded, saving the world. Whoever you describe is your own. This is my interpretation of a "Hero Lima" team.

So ask yourself, "which Ranger am I?"

Oh yeah, my first yawn, at 4.22am. Now I'm getting close to sleepy. Let me type off the next metaphor, The Hall.

The rules still apply. This is my own interpretation. Your interpretation may be different. That's okay. And no labels. Labels destroy the meaning blablabla.

You have a hall. No matter what hall it is. It might be the CLC for the MMU types, it might be the DSB for the UiTM types, or it could be some school hall type, or it could even be a great hall like a theater hall type. Whatever. No labels. And there's an event happening there. A theater play? A singing competition? A live telecast of Forum Perdana? Whatever. No labels.

So you have a hall and an event. There might be an audience. There might be chairs. There might be hawkers outside the hall. All of this is happening in and around the vicinity of the hall. The question is, where are you, and what's the reason you are there? Are you the audience, sitting in the middle of the people, anonymously cheering for the event up in the stage? Or are you up on the stage itself? The great thespian of the world in action? Or are you behind the scenes? Or are you the director? Are you the guy who shines the spotlight, sitting way up there at the balcony? Are you the reporter who's covering the event, or are you somewhere backstage, carrying the props? Are you totally immersed by the event and the hall itself, or are you ignoring everything that's happening in the hall and are outside, smoking a cheap one? You can be anybody listed or not. Whatever the role you feel like it, that is you. The one thing you cannot be is the owner of the hall. He sits way over there in his office, handling the affairs of his hall.

The interpretation is up to you.

Wah, a long one, this is. And I'm not even near sleepy. All i get are tired arms, an a mind that is still churning. Go figure.

21 Comments:

  At Wed May 18, 11:12:00 AM GMT+8, Blogger Lase said...

Ichiban

*click*

  At Wed May 18, 11:19:00 AM GMT+8, Blogger Lase said...

Dun care fit or not the personality, me wanna be Pink Ranger. XD Inspired bu Amy Jo Johnson who was the first English Pink Power Ranger actress... acted as Kimberly Heart. XD XD XD

Me ish crazy bout her nyo~! Too bad Kimberly left school to pursue her ambitions of becoming a gymnast. :( Why'd she have to stop acting.... T_T

Oh, btw... you forgot about the Green Ranger... and the solo White Ranger. ;)

  At Wed May 18, 11:25:00 AM GMT+8, Blogger Lase said...

Just for fun... I wanna answer:

The question is, where are you, and what's the reason you are there?

1) Are you the audience, sitting in the middle of the people, anonymously cheering for the event up in the stage?

--Yeap me ish audience giving support--

2) Or are you up on the stage itself?

--Yes I'm on the stage performing--

3) The great thespian of the world in action?

--Tak paham, skip--

4) Or are you behind the scenes?

--Yup, helping with people and timing--

5) Or are you the director?

--Been there, done that--

6) Are you the guy who shines the spotlight, sitting way up there at the balcony?

-Damn, this job never gotten before--

7) Are you the reporter who's covering the event, or are you somewhere backstage, carrying the props?

--No for 1st part, yes for 2nd--

8) Are you totally immersed by the event and the hall itself, or are you ignoring everything that's happening in the hall and are outside, smoking a cheap one?

--The former, thank you--

9) You can be anybody listed or not. Whatever the role you feel like it, that is you. The one thing you cannot be is the owner of the hall. He sits way over there in his office, handling the affairs of his hall.

--We'll see... one day I might own my own hall XD --

  At Wed May 18, 12:21:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

Alpha 5.
(Pointing at my self)

Sitting, wherever my friend is. Standing, wherever my friend is.

(i'm usually the extra cause i'm too big for anything else ahahaha.Oh, also the drink bringing friend :))

  At Wed May 18, 12:22:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

Totally unrelated i love billy when he was blue ranger.

  At Wed May 18, 01:05:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Syaoran said...

(figured they'd be visualizing the original power rangers. Heh, takpe, their own visuals, their own interpretation.)

I bet you never seen the way my family used to watch hero lima stuff in the old days: Cakap siam.

Nihongo or thai speak, they're all the same. indecipherable.

  At Wed May 18, 06:45:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

Have you heard them in Kadazan?

Me neither.

  At Wed May 18, 06:48:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

Suddenly remembered Saber Riders, Visionaries, Gaban, Satria Baja Hitam, Jem and the Hologram, Care Bears and My Little Pony....

  At Wed May 18, 08:47:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger he who must not be named said...

woah, 2 posts in one day!

call me dumb but I'm seriously clueless about your post. @_@

btw, I believe Amy got booted out of pinkie's coz she did a nude. ;)

yesh, two more papers to go! ^_^

  At Wed May 18, 09:21:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

4 ibanez: it helps to read ALL previous posts...
ROFL

Good luck on the other paper!

  At Wed May 18, 10:41:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Lase said...

ibanez: Ganbatte ne. And... GAH don't spoil her nice image in my head. +__+

Pablo: I wanna watch Visionaries... cannot find anywhere to download. :( Except Kazaa which I hate. And Inhumanoids are the best but no where can I find them. I got about 20 episodes of Jem, 21 episodes of Dungeons and Dragons. Wanna find M.A.S.K and Dino Riders next... though damn susah. Urgh...

  At Wed May 18, 11:04:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

4 lase: Whoa! Hm...i think still have the Visionaries comic somewhere inside my file. But you're right..they are darn hard to find.

4 ibanez: i heard something like that but i'm not so sure...

  At Thu May 19, 02:13:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

got your link off pablo's blog.

I never knew Power Rangers were called 'Hero Lima' ??

Anyway I'm not anyone of them.I friggin hate body-tight-skin-sucking suits =D

muahahaha

  At Thu May 19, 10:23:00 AM GMT+8, Blogger Syaoran said...

Hiya elf, glad to see new readers here. At least by having outside-the-circle readers, I won't be an encapsulated blog writer anymore.

Now all I have to do is to lay off the emo-kid act. Basi stuff.

Enjoy your read here. And watch out for the rabid Pablo&Lase duo. Rabid, i tell ya.

  At Thu May 19, 11:08:00 PM GMT+8, Blogger Lase said...

>_> *glares*

Me ish rabbit, not rabid. Muahaha.... Rabbit ish Usagi. Usagi is Sailormoon. Nyaaaa....

Ok me ish crazy.

  At Fri May 20, 09:38:00 AM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

.W.

Yeah, yeah. I'm not rabid. I don't foam in the mouth (unless i'm eating ice cream..yum!)

/looks at Lase
Noooo, Lase is not crazy. Huggles.
Can i be Luna?

  At Fri May 20, 11:23:00 AM GMT+8, Blogger Cherane said...

4 elf: Elf don't listen to him!

  At Sat May 21, 02:47:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahha

  At Thu Sep 21, 02:17:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://kpenevqg.com/rgbs/jjnm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ekqwvadi.com/iela/dntk.html]Cool site[/url]

  At Thu Sep 21, 02:17:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

  At Thu Sep 21, 02:18:00 AM GMT+8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://kpenevqg.com/rgbs/jjnm.html | http://nztgmpke.com/rbyu/vqyh.html